1. Never remove turtles from the Wild. It is illegal and unethical. Don’t purchase wild caught turtles, instead adopt a shelled friend. Turtles can live 100 years and often need new owners.
2. Promote preservation. Urban Sprawl hurts us all and separates us and our children from our earth. Promote parks and outdoor space in your neighborhood and include pollinator friendly native plants. Wildlife habitat that is good for turtles is good for the planet, and all of us.
3. Turtles live in home territories and cross roads when they need to get to parts of their habitat. Help them across roads in the direction they are going, leaving them in their home.
4. Create a backyard habitat. Habitat loss is the number one reason for turtles and wildlife disappearance. Plant beneficial, native plants, and let organic matter like leaves and logs stay to create food and shelter.
5. Mow Carefully and during the heat of the day when turtles seek shelter from the mid-day heat. Females seek out firm earth in a sunny spot to dig a nest for her eggs. Hatchlings are small and hard to see.
6. Control your pets. Pets are the second biggest threat to turtles (right behind humans)
7. Let wildlife be wild. Feeding wildlife disturbs the natural prey /predator balance and causes more predation on eggs and young wildlife.
8. Make ponds and water features turtle friendly. Most turtles can swim. Some, like the box turtle, can also drown. Use rocks and logs to create exits for ponds on all sides. Encourage pool owners to install turtle friendly filters or suggest a small floating “dock” in the filter trap, and check daily.
9. Volunteer. You don’t have to dig in dirt to help out. Conservation groups need computer and fundraising help too. Or get out and help educate at your local wildlife area or park. If you can’t help; DONATE!
10. Spread the word. Not everyone is on Facebook and many of our neighbors have no idea how big the struggle is for our native wildlife.. Educate your friends and neighbors about how they can help. Share this page!
WE CAN ALL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!